Saturday, July 31, 2010

Saturday, July 31st











Up early to pay bills this morning, as early here is late everywhere else, and it was just as fun as you imagine. Then went downtown for another open call interview for bartenders.

I sat at the table with a scrabble of other hopefuls. I noticed that the two gentlemen at my table had each entries in the space for previous convictions while neither had entries for the spaces that asked for college and higher education. Of course, we weren't applying to work for the Department of Defense.

My interview went very well. Great conversation with the sharp woman who screening me. She immediately asked me about running my consulting business (eso es ltd, "So It Goes" in Spanish and "SOS" in English) and how that made me perfect for the task of helping open up their new location. I slammed home a few questions about wine, and felt really great. Then, suddenly, at the end she said, "well you know we have scores and scores of male applicants" and I felt the downturn and figured that's that. But we'll see. I wish'd I said, "well I'm sure you do but there's only one like me," but I didn't so it's up to you, Universe.

I rolled over to Proper, the gastro-pub that held the wine dinner earlier this month. I had wanted to reconnect with the cooks I'd met, and said hello to one of them in the open kitchen, but it was just a passing thing as I was on my way up to the roof deck, which is located just about 100 feet from the fence at Petco Park.

The menu was more expensive than I was comfortable with, and this represents a sea change for me because San Diego menus, even this one, are still far cheaper than Boston menus. I ordered the ahi edamame stack and a glass of cava. The ahi dish was $12, we had a similar one available at Teatro for $14, and that was in 2003.

Nevertheless, I pressed on. It truly is a beautifully built bar up on the deck, and my service was first rate. Very friendly bartender and cocktail waitress. As our conversation went on, the two gentlemen at the end of the bar started to chime in from 10 feet away as we discussed the future of beverage/spirit consumption. Turns out these guys make high end yeast for local distilleries. A few minutes into our conversation their friend and business partner, the co-owner of a local brewery/distillery came in with his family. They had me come down and introduce myself. Though my insecurity tried to throw me at his feet and beg, "Please! Please hire me! I"ll be an asset! I need a job!" I held myself back and wished him to have a nice meal with his family as I thanked him for his time. But I walked away with a business card, and a round of warm smiles from everyone on the deck. Guess I made a positive impression.

Making my back to the car, I heard a commotion spilling into the street from the Gaslamp Tavern on 5th. It was an 80s party, and I found myself defenseless at the sight of multiple blondes in aerobic gear. I talked with a couple guys in the party. They had hired a double decker bus to ferry them from bar to bar throughout San Diego before ending up at a club later tonight. This was at 3 in the afternoon, and it was their first bar. Pretty safe to say that was going to be one messy outing.

Later that night, I finally connected with my great friend and former schoolmate Andy and finally saw a bit of Bankers Hill, another neighborhood here in San Diego. We were in a very nice restaurant, but this was also above our preferred price range ($10 draft beers?!). The very friendly and knowledgable waitress was a bit put by our orders of burgers (still $14) and the cheapest red wine on the menu, but I feel we acquitted ourselves by buffering the evening with after dinner espressos.

So good to see my friend. I'm very happy we're in the same city.



My iPod selected the song below as I wrote this draft:

Maybe the road's not easy,
Maybe the prize is small,
After all the years of waiting,
I'm going to show them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment