Saturday, July 10, 2010

different Saturday






So today is Saturday, hoping it is a good day for all.

My Saturday is rather dry on the surface, but I peeled back the outer layer and realized it represents progress. Last Saturday I woke up and went to Little Italy to see the Spain play (victoriously!) in the World Cup quarter final. I saw a different neighborhood and one that I remembered from my previous visits. Pretty much it.

Today I woke up and went to the gym. I have a temporary gym membership, so that's one step towards being established. I scored my wheatgrass and a peanut butter/vanilla smoothie and showered up. Then I headed towards the beach to see an apt. that I got a call back on. I didn't use my GPS to get there, I knew the way.

I'm trying to stay positive even though I don't have a job or place yet, so this is my constructive thinking at work.

On my way from Mission Valley to Pacific Beach I watched the thermometer drop from 75 degrees down to 67 while the bright, blue sky became maligned by grey clouds. Nevertheless, I investigated the apartment location, deciding that it is too expensive for what it offers, despite being a block away from the beach.

Walked down to the water and saw the beach where I've had some very good times on my previous visits. You'll see the yellow and black flag which denotes that the beach is for surfing only while it is flying. Of course I already know this thanks to my teenage devotion to "Baywatch."

From the beach I went up to Garnet and walked to Moondoggies, the first bar I visited when I was here in 2004 with Dantana. The place is a Red Sox bar, and NESN was on one of the tv screens, but the game had finished a few hours before (sadly, in a loss).

After a quick spot of lunch, I walked up the road back to the car, wondering if I would finally find some new sunglasses. I had a killer pair of cheap shades that I bought at the outset of June and made it all the way to California before becoming warped in need of decommission. Since then I've relied on my old Ray-Ban Wayfarers (had them since I was 15), which rule but aren't all purpose. Sure enough, about three doors up was a cheap sunglasses shop. I found 3 pairs for $25. This was a relief, as I've already fruitlessly searched 8 or 9 similar stores throughout California.

"You're a long way from home," said the young cashier.

"Yes, but I'm looking to make a new home," I replied.

I walked out with the cool tinted shades, that's what Robert Evans would have done.


Some more insight from music, the quote below is from "Laying Down The Law" by INXS and Jimmy Barnes...
http://www.inxs.com/track.aspx?id=1684

I'm searching for a light
To kill my sense of fear
To break through darkened nights
And take me through the years

And there's no need to tell you
What I think has gone wrong
There's grey clouds of dissension
And let it show, let it show a silver lining
Sweet blood on the razor
Is it poetry or politics?
Forget about the nightmare
I'll make it a dream that changes everything

No comments:

Post a Comment