Saturday, July 31, 2010

Tale of Two Coasts

As most readers are outside of California, you already know it's been a hot summer. I travelled through 14 states to get out here, the only one that I did not actually step foot in was New York, as I was on my way to Pennsylvania. It was hot. Over 80 the day I left Andover, and seemingly getting warmer as I headed into the interior. By Illinois it was in the 90s. The heat index in Columbia, MO was 100. In Oklahoma and Texas, it was in the high 90s. In Arizona, it was well over 100. Much to my surprise, California was the coldest state I experienced. All the way down to 61 degrees by the time I parked my car off Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles.

And, as you've read, it has not warmed up much here in sunny San Diego. And today, proof. It is the coldest July in 99 years here. Now, if this is cold, life could be a hell of a lot worse. But I thought you all might find the comparison interesting, as it seems to fly in the face of expectations. In more ways than one, we're living in strange times.

Coldest July in San Diego:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jul/31/grsq-san-diegos-coldest-july-99-years-about-end/?sciquest

Whilst New England bakes:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2010/07/31/new_england_sizzled_in_july_but_shy_of_records/

For what it's worth--I miss the heat! It's summer! I'm a Leo! I know all those days must have sucked and been unbearable, can we ask Mother Nature to balance it out a little bit?

No comments:

Post a Comment