Saturday, July 17, 2010

LA Saturday




alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5494925710077999778" />







Check out the track below and also get a better look at the Sunset Tower:

http://www.sunsettowerhotel.com/

http://www.ilike.com/artist/The+Egg/track/Venice+Beach


No new job or apartment leads yesterday, though I did get a couple of nice rejection letters, so at least I know my stuff is getting out there.

On a more positive note, my friendship with Dean brought me to Los Angeles yesterday to get my hair cut at the Argyle Salon, located in the Sunset Tower Hotel. This place is a palace. Intentionally obscured from Sunset Boulevard by a trio of huge palm trees, the Hotel is an opulent oasis perched at the top of the Hollywood Hills. Everyone on the staff was upbeat and welcoming, and it was great to see a friendly face.

Traffic yesterday was less kind. It took over two and a half hours to make it up to Los Angeles from San Diego, normally it would take just two. I still had some time and went directly to Venice Beach and found a sweet parking spot. The boardwalk was very active but the beach less so, despite the fantastic waves crashing against the shore. As I've found on all of my previous visits, the water in LA is warmer than San Diego. That doesn't seem plausible, but it's always been a few degrees warmer and more inviting. No shock of numbness running from your toes through your spine when you step in, no fear of letting a rave rise up over your groin to pulverise your testicles with cold. None of that. Instead, warm seduction, how LA.

I had about 20 blissful minutes to thrash through the waves, then rinsed off at one of the showers, bought a new pair of flip flops from one boardwalk stands (where I had picked a previous replacement pair in 2008), changed in the car and set out toward Hollywood. The 9 mile trip took 75 minutes.

After my appointment I felt no desire to hop back in the car, so I went to another swank hotel (The Mondrian) a few doors down. Made my way out to skybar, the pool lounge, where every single woman, both guests and staff, were clad in bikinis. Though there were of course a few perfectly built actor/model types, most of the men were fat, hiding behind designer shades and buzzing PDAs. I tried to enjoy my one $14 drink to the fullest, dreaming of how I'll be back at this place when I find success out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment