Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Tuesday, San Diego trial











Bursting at the seams with experiences to share.


Woke up very early this morning and ran errands. Got a free car wash from the maintenance work done yesterday (oil change and the replacement of a few belts, the car is running better than it has since I've had it).

My gracious host suggested I investigate a local wine store, which has multiple locations including one which is tied with a gastro pub. I joined their mailing list about six weeks ago and found myself here on a night when they were hosting a wine dinner focusing on Pinot Noir. Not my favorite varietal but, based on the strength of the recommendation, I made a reservation to attend.

It is hard for me to do things like this, despite being equipped with the social tools to do so. And, after waning away the day worried about being tongue tied and shy for the dinner I made my way out. A local winemaker, who buys all of his grapes from Santa Barbara was featured. Being on my own, I was the fifth wheel at a table of five.

No one really interacted at first. A pair of two males, along with a couple. I spoke up when I heard that the male of the couple wanted to see the Mariners game. I inquired about his interest in baseball. His wife asked me which team I supported and, as is common everywhere outside of New England, my affinity for the Red Sox brought derision. Nevertheless, I protested that I was indeed a baseball fan, rather than a drunken lout, and thus my knowledge of Seattle's organization and, of course, the Padres, left me well acquitted.

The couple were Navy. And the two males were actually sous-chefs for Proper, the restaurant hosting the dinner. They had created the courses of the dinner. This was fabulous serendipity. Most of the other guests were in their 40s, 50s, and 60s. I felt out of place & young when I arrived which was strange since, for the most part, I have felt old since arriving in San Diego.

From the moment of my interjection, we had a lively discussion. After spending the day apprehensive and insecure, I found myself in an ideal situation with kind people eager to exchange experience. I learned a lot about my dining companions, and found my own experience offered something to them as well. I had expected to sit isolated, staring with contempt and frustration at my fork. Fortunately, not the case.

The wines were good, all small batch selections from vineyards in Santa Barbara. The winemaker was sitting at a table across from us. He purchases his grapes from various vineyards and then crafts the wine himself, while his wife focuses on marketing and distribution. It is a two person operation. I learned about a part of the state that I am unfamiliar with, and felt a connection through its agricultural produce.

My dinner companions were well traveled and open minded. The food stood out more than the wines. We talked about our approach to food, and discussed our common view of food and beverage as an integral form of enjoyment, rather than a platform of pretension.

I was honored when, at the end of the dinner, after hearing of my intentions in beverage distribution, one of the sous chefs insisted we all take part in a snifter of tequila. The executive chef even joined us. We analyzed and shared our experiences of each course, as well as each paired wine. Through our discourse, I found out that my limited knowledge of San Diego restuarants was met with approval by the locals, that made me feel good. It was a rich and satisfying evening. Without Tom's advisement to check out Wine Steals(www.winestealssd.com) I would not have been there.

I made connections and was invited out by my dining companions. Afterward, I made my way through the Gaslamp to look at some of the places I had dropped applications off the day before. It was slow, of course it was only a Tuesday. But I got a better feel for the area.

As I wasn't quite ready to go home, I stumbled into a bar along fifth street, the main drag of the Gaslamp. It was a Spanish karaoke bar. Even better, it was decorated with James Bond one sheets across the walls. I ordered a Dos Equis and, trying to fit in as it wasn't too crowded, perused the song selections. The first page I opened to had "Baila Morena" by Julio Iglesias, my favorite song of his. I chalked it up to fate and even though I didn't feel like it, put in my request. I nailed it.

I had to fight all of my nerves and disbelief to do everything I had done tonight, and I found myself feeling comfortable and at home.

Back to the pavement tomorrow, wish me luck. . .

Julio Iglesias, "Baila Morena."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UimWcDyyBEw

No comments:

Post a Comment