Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Winners Circle










The clouds never parted today, but that was probably a good thing for an all day event.

Feeling gloomy, to match the weather, I made my way northwest to Del Mar, a very ritzy beach community in San Diego County. My GPS kindly directed me on an express route, avoiding the traffic on the 5 and leading me through the majesty of Torrey Pines (where I once splashed through the waves during a blinding fog back in October 2008). The roads became saturated just before Jimmy Durante Way, which leads directly to the Del Mar Racetrack, where it was Opening Day of the racing season.

I avoided the mass lots across from the track and found a free spot on a residential street then made my way down. Quickly ensconced in a throng of high heels, big hats, and more plastic breasts, noses, and necks then I have ever seen in my life, most of which were perched on Botox-paralyzed faces. Saw one arrest (for jaywalking) and, even though it was only 1pm, saw a half dozen girls of varying ages too drunk to walk; a sideshow for an entire afternoon of countless women of varying ages who could not manage their heels.

The crowd was an equal juxtaposition of trash and wealth. We were shielded in a private area on the infield, hosted by a local financial firm. Plenty of food, drinks, and friendly people. I don't gamble on principle, and this was my first visit to a track of any kind. I felt pretty overwhelmed and out of place at first, but I gradually settled in and enjoyed myself. I received a quick overview on how to bet, which I figured I would ignore. I filled up on food and went to watch a couple of the races, we had a very good view of the starting line, but we couldn't hear the announcer too well (bummer). Crowd watching became pretty tedious rather quickly, so I made my way back into the party.

After a very confused reaction to my, "I don't gamble, I have enough vices already" routine, I succumbed to peer pressure and decided I would place a bet. I reviewed the race card and made my choice, which expanded a bit while waiting in line. The queue was pretty lively, and I bullshitted with the guy in front of me who seemed to be an accomplished bettor. It was suddenly my turn. Remembering what I'd been told earlier, the words lept out, "I've never done this before, I'll take two each on the 5 and the 8 horse to place."

"Spoken like a pro," said the very cool looking man behind the counter. He reminded me of Zakes Mokae, the great South African actor. Peering out from his straw hat and over his glasses he repeated, "spoken like a real pro." I felt my novice smile spill over my cheeks. As he handed me my slip he fixed his gaze on me and said, "See you in the winners' circle."

Back at the table I announced, "well, that's another vice to the collection," but I did feel more a part of the event. The race began and both of my horses were all the way at the back, and as I sat there thinking, "see, this is why I don't gamble," I felt disappointment creep in. But in horse racing things change in the blink of an eye, and before I knew it there was the 8 horse "Ruffled Feathers" coming on strong up to the head of the pack. It was a photo finish, and the 8 horse was victorious. I won.

I went back to see my new friend and said, "well you called it."

"I had a feeling about you."

"Now you're going to see me here everyday," I joked.

"That's how it happens. We call it beginners luck. People do it once, they get hooked. They start doing it every race, all the time. The bets get higher and higher. You never win. You might win, but when the bets get higher you're not winning, you're treading water. See it everyday."

"I hear you. Quit while you're ahead."

"That's the secret."

I recouped my bet, and separated out my $1.60 winning yield feeling very satisfied. Time to go. And now, I had a few extra quarters for the parking meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment