Friday, July 9, 2010

What's New, Pussycat?

Happy Friday everyone!

Got a couple call backs on apts today, neither of which I think will work out. No call backs on jobs.

Nearly died of heat stroke in a bikram yoga class this morning. Okay not quite, but about 70 minutes in I felt sure I would vomit. Kept it together, and probably dropped 3 or 4 stones of water weight.

We were being led by a practically naked, drill sergeant-like blonde who was probably 38 or 40. In case you don't get the picture, she was very intense. "Reach all the way back and pull at the top of your feet! Kick your legs out! Reach your eyes to the ceiling! Lift your chest from the floor! If your chest is on the floor you're not in the pose! Keep kicking out! Keep kicking out!!! Kick out all the way or you won't have the extension of the pose!!! Kick! Kick! KICK!!! And rest..."

I pity her lover and/or children.

Quick story of missed opportunity from yesterday. I pulled into a parking space on 6th across from Zanzibar, where I was applying. I saw the guy parked in front of me had a California license plate, or rather vanity plate, that said RED SOX 8. I got out of the car immediately to say, "Fantastic license plate, sir." He spoke to me from his meter about moving out here from Weston, MA in 1978 and getting the plate. He said he was at a game out here in Anaheim once and met the guy who had RED SOX 9. We talked about Yaz, the team, how much the game experience at Fenway has changed as the new ownership leaves no stone unturned to wring every penny and dime out of each and every Red Sox fan on the planet. At that point he mentioned how he worked at a restaurant out in Cardiff By The Sea where Larry Lucchino (back when he worked for the Padres) would show up on weekends riding his Harley. This is where I made my mistake, I inquired about the restaurant, even though the guy was wearing an emblazoned winery shirt and was clearly a wine distributor making his rounds. He's no longer at the restaurant, obviously, but he did tell me to check out the place (The Beachhouse) and know that when I see a bunch of Harleys outside on the weekends, it's really just a bunch of rich dudes hot dogging on their weekend, not some rough and tumble biker gang. The conversation ended organically and, although I realized this was the type of guy I should talk to about distribution, realized it would be far too awkward to resurrect our discourse and solicit my services. So I put that one back on the universe, figuring I'll get another swing and be ready for it next time. At least I got a scoop on Cardiff By The Sea.

Below is an absolutely hilarious clip about the mental anguish unleashed on an unsuspecting Chicago diner crowd by a comedian and his buddy when they decided to play Tom Jones' "What's New, Pussycat?" 21 times in a row on the jukebox. Thank you, Mike, for making my day with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iEDyTqubiM&feature=player_embedded#!

New Tom Jones album, Praise & Blame, collection of hymns and spirituals, comes out August 10th, you know I'll have a copy.
About the new release:
http://www.billboard.com/features/tom-jones-goes-gospel-for-new-album-1004103450.story?tag=hpfeed#/features/tom-jones-goes-gospel-for-new-album-1004103450.story?tag=hpfeed

Check out this story from one of the asshole label execs blowing his stack on hearing the project:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2010/07/05/2010-07-05_tom_jones_new_album_praise__blame_called_a_sick_joke_by_vicepresident_of_island_.html

2 comments:

  1. Well, the right thing to do was to wait until REDSOX 8 wasn't near his car. Then rip off that plate and toss it into the Pacific! But that's just me. Bang bang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bang bang, amigo!

    Hey, I heard some song on the radio whose verse was a complete rip-off of "Detroit Rock City"

    KISS RULES!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete