Thursday, September 30, 2010

Thunder Struck!











Sitting at my little table this morning, sending out job applications and such, I heard a rumbling from outside. Oh, it's the end of the month, I reasoned, must be a moving truck. But as I went about my work and indulged in my tea and throbbing electro music, I kept hearing that rumble. Time to turn down the music and investigate.

I opened the blinds in my bedroom and saw the stretches of grey coming from one side of the peninsula. When I looked out my kitchen window there was sunshine on the opposite side of the peninsula. Hmm...a few minutes later the rumble came again. This was thunder. Thunder! In San Diego! Awesome! I love storms, I thought I had given them up when I moved out here.

I grabbed my flips and went out toward the bay. One side blue, the other side white. with a mohawk thundercloud streaking in between. This was exciting. After a few steps I discovered a flowerhead somehow perfectly severed and left to wilt alone on the side walk. I took it as a gift and picked it up to take with me. There was only a moment of very light rain as I approached the east side of the bay. Few people were out, and for a few moments everything was still. I began walking along the point towards the west side. By the time I was there the mohawk had grown, the thunder returned and brought actual rain along with it. I reveled in the moment. The wind, the rain, the dark, though always with blue sky at my side. This was cool. I took a few steps into the bay and released my flower friend into the sea, a much better place to retire than the sidewalk. Satisfied, happy, I walked back to my place to resume my daily work. That was a good break. Now the sun is out in full force, storm clouds are long gone. Back to work!

I thought of two songs regarding thunder, so you can choose which one you'd like to accompany your reading. It's Duran Duran, during their brief reunion with Andy Taylor before he screwed it all up with his ego. And the immortal KISS! with God of Thunder. Unfortunately, I could not embed the live version featuring Gene's full demon theatrics. There's a link below and it's worth it. The crowd shots are a riot. And that blood is actually food-dyed yogurt.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgkLhfiGIqY

2 comments:

  1. As I started to read the blog, I chose KISS' God of Thunder for the background music!! Who knew I would pick that one. Maybe it is because I received this great new book in the mail yesterday. Thanks again, amigo. Bang bang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet is that live video? The fans are awesome! KISS! KISS! KISS!
    Shout it out loud, brother!

    ReplyDelete