Thursday, September 2, 2010

Laguna Beach






















Riding back from Pasadena this afternoon, I felt no urge or drive for anything. I didn't want to stay in LA. I figured I should go back to San Diego but was not looking forward to returning. I wasn't hungry. I wasn't thirsty. I couldn't think of any sights I wanted to see. Numb.

An hour into the drive, I saw the sign for Dana Point. This is where I spent my first weekend in California back in 2004 for my friend Rob's beautiful wedding. I've stopped here once or twice before over the years, but it's been awhile. Instead of going into the town, I drove north on the Pacific Coast Highway, something I had not done before. A large white cloud extended its reach inland, well beyond the shore. Bright sun turned to grey haze. But there was no mistaking the sight of a miraculous aqua marine cove to my left. I pulled off to see this majestic place, known as Laguna Beach.

Thursday, I am told, is a day for green. That is why I wore a green tie and green socks today. Streaking brilliantly through the cloud was the coral green water lapping against the shore and the bright emerald moss hugging the jetty. With the fog all around, I felt like an ancient explorer seeking through the mist, knowing I'd landed in a distant and magical place but somehow uncertain if it was real. It seemed too beautiful.

Wanting to capture my alien attire set against this pristine setting, I asked a nice older lady to take my photo. She kept fretting about not having her glasses and hoping it would turn out alright. I think it did. The others are self portraits. As I'm always prepared with full beach materials in the car, I changed into my suit and charged into the surf. I was the only person over 8 heading into the water. The waves were the most powerful I've felt out here, so I didn't mess with them too much. Meanwhile the kids charged through with carefree abandon, free and easy. I felt envy for all these kids growing up with this, no wonder people out here turns out to be so laid back.

Not that I lament anything about my upbringing. But with the climate here it's is commonplace to be more active, in better shape, more at peace with your surroundings, and that is pretty special.

Laguna Beach reminded me of another special place, Singing Beach in Manchester, MA. They are both in exclusive communities, and seem like an oasis unto themselves. Perhaps they are cousins.

No comments:

Post a Comment