Sunday, September 12, 2010

Short Time Before A Nap

I've made a number of cross country, early morning flights back to the East Coast. Today's circumstance is decidedly different than the previous one. Previously, I always stayed up until flight time in order to ensure certain sleep for the flight's duration. One time, I drove into LAX, popped a couple Benadryl, closed my eyes on take off and woke up to the captain telling us we were beginning our descent into Boston. That was a good flight. One of the few where I didn't experience extreme pain in my ears upon descent. Plus, it was a business trip. That morning was the 4th of July and, thanks to the commuter rail, I was up in Andover with my family under brilliant sunshine by 1 o'clock that afternoon.

I'm flying back almost six years to the day after my first return flight from California. I was surprised to be so happy to return to Boston on that day. The best time of year in that city. The municipal annual apex, leaves turning, students returning, streets full of life and energy. Hard to believe that this time I am where I am. I don't know what to expect. I'm certainly disappointed that my expectations of this day have not come to pass. Guess that's irrelevant. I'm so happy to see my parents and friends. Hard to believe I have such a bounty of love, support, and experience before me. It's about time I started to approach life with a "you only go around once" attitude.

Now, time for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment