Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Friday en Verbier

The previous night, everyone I encountered kept remarking about the long journey I had made and therefore how tired I must be. Instead, I felt so happy to be where I was I didn’t feel any hint of exhaustion. This also had something to do with the two Red Bulls I had early on in the evening. When I made it back to the flat around 2am, my body resisted sleep at first. I distracted myself with the television and thought about what I could do during the day to enjoy my surroundings. The next thing I knew, it was 2:15 in the afternoon.

So, no grand adventures on Friday. I did try once again to sort out the internet, to no avail. Picked up a power converter, as the one I had was for the UK. That turned out to be a good thing, as the shop was out of direct American converters, and now I had a rather unique looking 3 tiered power source.

Went up to Harold’s, the internet cafĂ©, and said hello to James, the bartender, who was celebrating his birthday. I had met James, and just about everyone else in town the evening before. Everyone in the village knew about the wedding that weekend; the waitress at Borsolino, for example, was able to tell me, unsolicited, where the afterparty was taking place on Saturday night. Kate and Rob are pretty much celebrities here. My previous trip to Verbier was in the Spring (of 2000), when there are usually far more people about it. Being here in late summer/early fall, I was amongst the hardcore locals.

A knock on the door late that afternoon signaled the arrival of two of my college friends, neither of whom I’ve seen in 10 years. An hour later, we were sitting down to a very posh rehearsal dinner with even more friends, both old and new. And, as expected, we were in for a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment