Wednesday, September 8, 2010

09.08.10

I did not start my new perspective journal today. However, I must report that the guy I met last night who said he would check to see if his friend any connections for me actually DID check to see if his friend had any connections and got back to me today. First time ever out here. Of course his friend's connections are all in Austin, TX, but it's a start. Finally, a man of his word.

The sun did not come out here until 2pm today. It almost looked like it wasn't going to come out at all. We had a few nice weeks in August, but otherwise there has been no summer. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 15 degrees below average in most areas.

Tomorrow is my last day of a yoga seven day trial. I've been 5 out of the 6 days and I like this place a lot. Great instructors, good vibe with the crowd. I can't wait until I can actually afford a package of classes.

After yoga I was back here, quite comfortable in my chair with my computer either on the table or my lap, as I pressed through various applications, resume send outs, and want ads. When I started I was making breakfast, a few hours later, I was making lunch, still doing the same thing. By 3:30 I'd had enough. I took a walk along the Bay, it was the first time I've been down there and didn't see any sunbathers. Of course, not much point when it's 65 degrees with no sun.

Went out to Hillcrest for the evening and watched part two of Mesrine. Excellent. The first part is more absorbing, but what a performance by Cassel. Part Two also features Mathieu Amalric (The Diving Bell And The Butterfly), Samuel Le Bihan (Brotherhood of the Wolf), and the babealicious Ludivine Sagnier (Swimming Pool). Great time at the movies. There was a trio of French people waiting for the second show and I was excited them speak the language. On the way home, I threw in the Pimsleur cassette tapes to practice a bit myself.

Wanted to elaborate on my awareness of this transition. I realize it takes awhile. And, overall, I think I am a very patient person, but I get easily upset when I'm on my own. For whatever reason, I tend to be a loner, too, so I guess I like to castigate myself. When I was in Spain, it took about 8 weeks before I felt comfortable. Much of that had to do with my living situation and the language barrier. I remember getting so tired of speaking in another language for an entire day. At first I could take for a couple hours, a few weeks later I built up to 6 hours, then eight, and within three months I was the one who insisted on speaking Spanish even when I was with American friends. Here, there's no language barrier. There is a bit of a culture barrier. But what really makes the difference is not having a context. In Spain I had school, people on my program. Plus I was a kid. I'm not old, but I'm not a kid anymore, and without a job I have no context. Just me and my room, which in this case is an apartment. Boston people are everywhere out here, and they're generally disliked by the majority of people. I understand their disdain, and if you've ever been to a Red Sox or Patriots road game, you understand, too. I know I brought this all on myself. I'm not trying to lament my situation or act like I have some plight. It's just frustration, and with no one to talk to or bring me out of it, this is one of the best outlets I have. When I'm out around here, I'm usually trying to hide my loneliness and confusion. Not sure I do a very good job of it, but that's the role I've chosen. At some point or another, I'll have a better part to play.

On to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment