Tuesday, August 24, 2010

treading water

Win some, lose some, hold out hope for a brighter day. Had one totally bullshit interview for a marketing firm today. I sat there 45 minutes after the appointed time before this jackass comes in off his cell phone wearing a coral necklace and starts trying to qualify me. I wasn't about to let that happen so I opened up by asking him exactly what the position is and when I found out it was a guaranteed $500 a week for the first 6-12 months (working with a bunch of jokers like him) I thanked him for his time (which I shouldn't have since he disrespected mine) and was out the door.

After that, I went to my first official wine industry interview. Montesquieu, one of the oldest wine companies in the world, is looking for some new brokers. It pays slave wages for six months, and doesn't provide benefits during that time, but after that you end up getting significantly bumped up and taken care of. No surprise, they have a million applicants, but I know that I am one of the best qualified. For starters, I don't think I might love wine and make it a career, I do love wine and want to make it a career. And I can quote regions, varietals, preferences, etc. But we'll see if that gets me anywhere today. I know it will tomorrow.

Then I got back and replied to another interest feeler from a company that is in fact a recruiter. They do not charge for their services and are paid by the company but they still want a $29 screening fee up front before you get access to their database. I took the information and said I'd call back.

I was going to call this entry "One Step Up and Two Steps Back" but I felt that was overly negative. I had a wine interview today, that's progress.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment