Saturday, August 7, 2010

La Mission de Alcala

















Spent this morning at La Mission de Alcala which, as you can see, is a very beautiful and special place. It is the oldest mission in America, though it is no longer in its original location, which is at Presidio Park in Old Town. It was moved for agricultural reasons a few hundred years ago.

The United States is viewed as a young country, which by global standards it is. But America itself is old, even if the europeans took awhile to find it, and then the Vikings that did kept a secret from their neighbors to the south and it was then re "discovered" by the Spanish centuries later.

Standing here you can feel the duration of time and social evolution. It's right down the street from Tom & Jamie's place, and after finding it the other night I wanted to come back during the day and check it out.

A sign here reads that the history of the San Diego area represents five periods: Kumeyaay Indian, Spanish Mission, Mexican Secularization, American Military, and 20th Century Restoration. In the early days, one of the first missionaries was murdered (or martyred, as the Church prefers to view it) by the Kumeyaay, as were a 2 other inhabitants of the Mission. But over time, the Church sought to convert the Indians and got them out of their huts (see left) and taught them better forms of agriculture along with blacksmithing and other industries. I think now we call that assimiliation. Politics aside, I learned much about the area today, and even learned a great deal about world history. It was the Spanish who insisted on further colonization of California in order to ward of the Russians expanding down from Alaska. Beyond that, I found a special spot. I lit candles for my grandparents and my uncle. I made a wish and threw silver over my left shoulder into the wishing well. I felt at peace for the only time in days. I like it here. Hope many of you can come see it for yourself one day soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment