Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Another Hump Day

So my hump day began with a decision, all commission based jobs can kiss my ass. I actually felt like I turned a corner today. Certainly, I strengthened my criteria, albeit with the understanding that in another couple of weeks I will resort to taking anything.
Saw a couple of good listings out there and sent out my cv and/or face with high hopes, no word back, but tomorrow is another day.

Back in Beantown, I would go to a Schezuan place each night after leaving the gym next door. It was a happy ritual, spending six dollars for terrific food to be enjoyed at home with some wine and the entertainment of the Red Sox playing about a mile away. There's a Chinese place not too far from and some days ago I resolved I would go there for the same dish, kind of a trial.

After inquiring on a job that proved fruitless, I watched the end of the Red Sox game at the first bar I came to in San Diego with the one and only Dantana. Though my recent visits there swore me off going to the place, tonight I had great service from an intelligent and kind bartender and a great conversation with the manager, who shares a love of baseball. I could have stayed but I resolved to follow my own intentions (funny how one can get away from such an obvious path). I made my way out and looked west to the ocean, which is only two blocks away and saw a magnificent sunset. Without any of my cameras or even my phone, I had to go down to see the pink hued sky, flecked with cotton, over a canvas of pale blue. It was gorgeous, and one I won't forget, regardless of the absence of physical evidence.

I went into China Inn, as planned. The food was not so great, very salty ( has this ever happened to anyone else at a Chinese restaurant?). I was wondering why I was there, questioning my path, until my fortune cookie arrived. I opened the vanilla cracker to reveal the scroll: SOON YOU WILL BE GETTING THE RECOGNITION YOU DESERVE. A moment later, I was in a discussion with the gentleman to my left. We had been on the same eating schedule without exchanging any conversation. But for the next hour we sat there. He was a professional photographer and native San Diegan that has found his muse in Baja California. We had a wonderful discussion and I soaked up his experiences, visions, and advice. I realized, that my conviction was right after all. I'll stop getting in my own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment