Thursday, August 26, 2010

#111

Good day today.

Had a couple of legitimate phone interviews for salaried positions this morning. That's a step in the right direction. This afternoon I investigated a local catering company and it seems as though I can find work with them if I update my food/alcohol certifications. Of course, I still got blown off by two restaurants doing open calls. For one I wasn't even in the seat for a minute. I asked the guy, "That's it?" "Yeah that's it, man, this is really more so we can put a face to the name." Well, it would have helped if the guy had looked at me, shook my hand, or made any notes on the resume I gave him. Dickhead.

The best thing that happened to me today though was this. I went downstairs to do laundry and a tough looking guy (tattoos, shaved head, ripped) greeted me from the opposite staircase with a big smile. "I know you, man!" He said cheerfully. "Oh, yeah? Guess you've seen me around the building." "No, man. I know you from before. I was walking along the Bay with my son, and you came past us and said, 'hi, how are you.'" The fact that he remembered me and is somehow in my sphere made me feel fantastic. And that's definitely better than the guy at the convenience store on the corner who thinks I look like Richard Grieco. Random.

So as I walked from my car to the two restaurants holding open calls today, I noticed I was not alone. Yes, I was downtown, so there were people around, but everywhere I looked there were people just like me. To my left, my right, out of the corner of my eye, up in the distance, there they were, men and women dressed smart, holding resume folders, all headed to the same place. Personally, I think my orange tie, black shirt, and leather attache bag separated me, but it got me nowhere in the end. Oh well, at least I know what to expect at this point. To give you an idea of what this is like, watch the sequence below, it is scarily accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment