Monday, August 16, 2010

One Thing Leads To Another

After the newfound positivity that my walk brought me, I organized a few things here in the apartment and then stepped out to get some food across the street. There are three spots across the street: Big Kahuna, home of the Kahuna Burger made famous by Pulp Fiction, The Menu, which is a breakfast place, and Rocky's, which is known for having the best burgers in San Diego. Rocky's is a great bar, it's very small but is all pinewood and looks like a place on Cape Cod.

I went to Big Kahuna where I was soon accosted by a young drunk. The guy was right up in my space and was a real handful, stupid too. He thought a moose couldn't weigh more than 600 lbs. He was on my left and his buddy Vince was at my left, both came in after me and for some reason Jason, the drunk, didn't bother sitting next to his friend and preferred to speak over me. In any case, Vince seemed like a decent guy. They invited me to join them at Rocky's. I told them I could stop by for one beer and, reluctantly made my way over.

After sitting at the fifth point of a table that included their girlfriends, I watched with glee as Jason repeatedly lurched into a pool of ketchup on the table. Sure, I could have warned him, but I chose the path to entertainment once he started fighting with his girlfriend at the table. Mercifully, they wanted to catch a movie, so they soon left. With the exception of Jason, the other kids were very nice and very cool to me.

I had half a beer left so I sat at the bar to finish it out and then go watch the fireworks on the bay. The fireworks go off at Sea World every night at 9:52. Pretty sweet. So I'm sitting next to a real hard nosed lesbian to my right, and at one point I asked her for a coaster to cover my beer as I hit the jets. Told her a quick story about how a bartender here had thrown my beer out one night and she wisely observed that the girl was an idiot, which she was. When I came back, the woman looked over at me and said, "So what's a girl like you and a guy like me doing in a place like this?" This girl was awesome, I got such a laugh out of that. We ended up talking for a bit and she was supercool and invited me to hang with a couple of her friends, they all lived across the street, a stone's throw from my place. I agreed, and her three friends were just as advertised, supercool. I stayed for about half an hour or so, had a few laughs and felt a good connection. It was a good night, and if it hadn't been for that obnoxious drunk, it never would have happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment