Monday, December 20, 2010

Stormy Weather

Despite living in one the most temperate climates in the world, I am about to be shut out of the second celestial event in a week. Last week a meteor shower. Tonight a full lunar eclipse. Two events lightyears in the making, and here in sunny San Diego, it's been clouded over and raining both times. It has now been raining for days, since Friday. As I said last night, I like it. But I wanted to see the eclipse. And the meteor shower.

Still planning to poke my head out the door to see if there is any view. Otherwise, I'm relying on eyewitnesses elsewhere in the world.

I ran around today doing errands, driving through the rain. It was balmy. Over 60 degrees. Did not feel like Christmas, even though I felt the spirit as I found gifts for my loved ones.

Got much done today. And pampered myself by making sticky rice with my dinner. I wanted a cheeseburger. Or a fried chicken sandwich. Or pizza. But I held out in full awareness of the coming holiday gluttony. So chicken stir fry with rice. Buttoned up, on a windy rainy night, watching a special on the Red Sox 1975 season, definitely content. Though as we all know, the final out of that season did not go in our favor. Nevertheless, as should never, ever be forgotten or taken for granted:
Thank you 2004 Red Sox for making the world a better place where dreams come true.


Heard this song for the first time ever last night. It's a solo song by Midge Ure of Ultravox, the co-writer (with Bob Geldof) of Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas," my favorite Christmas recording of all time. This song was written 4 years later, and is a general address to the state of the world at the time, a state that has not changed. I think the positive plea of this song makes it a wonderful message to send out, especially here at Christmas.











Christmas is just around the corner...

No comments:

Post a Comment