Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Step In The Right Direction

First off...honestly. Nobody has commented on this page in over a month. Is anyone still reading????


Woke up and embraced the weather. I went straight to the beach. On the way there, I was stopped at a traffic light and saw my friend Ruben, who works at La Costa Brava and who worked at the Institute where I studied in Spain, in the car alongside of me with his awesome dog, Bruno. They were going for a walk on this gorgeous day on Fiesta Island. First person I interacted with today, and it was a welcome surprise.

Hit the beach, obviously a good thing. It's the middle of December and there I was amidst the sun, sand, and bikinis. Good times.

Then I went to run and exercise, and for the first time in my life I did a set of 60 pushups. It wasn't intentional. Normally I top out at 50, a number which won me second place in the Cactus Club impromptu staff challenge on a slow December night 9 years ago. Artie Barnes, a starting football player for UMASS and fantastic guy, finished first with 80. 80! Today I did 60. Came out of nowhere. Awesome.

Got a lead on a couple jobs. One tomorrow, could be a scam, but we'll see. The other was a trendy wine bar in North Park (my favorite area). I walked in and immediately wowed the owner while simultaneously intimidating the manager. His big curveball was, "what are your favorite two varietals?" I knocked that one out of the park and I could just tell this guy wouldn't let me near the place for fear of his own inadequacy. Still, the owner liked me and was very kind. And, as it turns out, there really is no position. They are looking for some bitch to come in and work the dead ends of the holidays while the rest of the staff is on vacation.

Through my buddy, I got an invite to an industry party tonight. I recognized a number of people and was even warmly greeted by some of the industry folks. They even knew my name. Pretty impressive for Southern California. I made some new contacts and managed to hold my own after being left on my own, as opposed to being overcome by shyness/insecurity and going home to sulk.

On the way home, I noticed a thick cloud enveloping Pacific Beach. The moon, along with Orion and the twins, Castor and Pollux, the epicenter of tonight's meteor shower were consequently obscured. I set my alarm for two hours from now. We'll see if the view is better then.

Woah! Cliff Lee signed with the Phillies! That sucks for the Rangers, and is totally awesome for the lowly Yankees! The Boss would have never stood for that!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, I read this blog on a regular basis. It is interesting to read about your experiences in San Diego and you have a great way with words. Keep writing and rockin' !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry amigo...I'm still reading this. But might stop reading seeing that you called the Yankees lowly!!!!! Yankees in 2011!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. It's hard to see in cyberspace.

    ReplyDelete