Thursday, December 9, 2010

Christmas Lights On Ingraham


I came home tonight to a very pleasant and welcome surprise, my neighbors put up Christmas lights on their side of the building. In an instant, this challenging and awkward new city became instantly more welcoming.

It is a very foggy and chilly night here in San Diego. Chilly here means 48 degrees. That is not to rub it in, just to articulate the difference. Anyone who's visited SD knows there are a number of homeless people, but if you were homeless, where would you rather be, Buffalo or San Diego? On the radio tonight I heard an ad for a coat drive. These are common this time of year, but here a coat can really make all the difference for someone. That was an interesting realization. As for the fog, at 2:30 this afternoon I set out for Chula Vista. There was a cloud lying right on top of the water over the bay, so as I went to head over the bridge off of Crown Point, I could not see 10 feet in front of me. As I drove south along the 5, I could see that cloud stretched all the way from Coronado to La Jolla. But where I was on the highway, only half a mile inland, there were clear skies, and all the planes were landing without trouble at the airport, which sits right against the harbor. Interesting sights.

A few people have said "Merry Christmas" to me lately, usually some nice person who watched one of my shows at work. They didn't even necessarily buy anything. Against the setting, it's pretty unexpected, but very welcome. And then, come to think of it, this is such a hectic time of year, and even all those Decembers on the East Coast that tiding wouldn't always ring through. When someone means it, you feel it. When it's forced upon you, it's kind of annoying. No matter where you are, Christmas is in your heart.

Time for bed. More carnival barking tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment