Monday, June 21, 2010








What a great town Santa Fe is. The taqueria I intended to visit has morphed into a more upscale restaurant, and when I walked in I unexpectedly, and pleasantly, had to switch into Spanish to get the lay of the land. So I walked out to explore a little bit, saw an old theatre and walked down to take a photo. Then I realized I was at the door of the New Mexico State Film Commission. Oddly enough, I've followed some of their progress in recent years, and scoped out films that were shot there. With no reason not to, I opened the doors and walked upstairs, announcing myself as a film fan in the area looking for some info on the operation. Lo and behold, the receptionist greeted me warmly and then introduced me to one of the commission executives who invited me into his office. He gave me an overview of their website and talked a bit about their industry. His office was filled with stills and one sheets. One of those was from The Milagro Beanfield War, a magical film that's always been one of my favorites. We shared a couple pleasantries, he gave me his card and then I was back out on the streets to explore.

I saw the old Santa Fe depot and a cool little bookstore. Checked out some local arts and craft galleries, beautiful stuff but rather pricey. I ended up at this restaurant called Cowgirls that was just fantastic. Pulled mole chicken tacos that were sensational, as was everything else on the plate, slaw rice, and beans. Iced Tea, Tecate, life is good.

I took a drive north into the city and visited the cathedral to light a candle for my uncle, who always enjoyed Santa Fe.

After that, a walk deeper into the town. The museums were closed, but it was such a gas to see all of these artists selling jewelry and crafts. Musicians enjoying the parks, and people walking around, all friendly and smiling.

Great town.

Now I've made to Albuquerque, and I'm going to duck out and visit the pool before sunset. I'll have more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment