Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 2, from Kentucky


Greetings from Boone County, Kentucky. Had no idea I'd end up in Kentucky but Cincinnati was a very unwelcoming place. I scoped out 5 different hotels downtown and just north of the city and every one seemed desolate and unsafe so I just headed South. That's how I found a sports bar just over the river in Kentucky. Was cool to see 6 different baseball games and sit down outside of the car for the first time all day. Also interesting that you can smoke in the restaurant, made even more interesting by the fact that the hostess there was at least six months pregnant. I was just happy to be across the river from Cincinnati. Of course all of the hotels I checked on this side were full so I had to trek out another 10 miles south towards the airport. But now that I'm here, I can't wait to relax and collapse. The drive today was very long. Once I hit Ohio the sun was incredibly bright and it was a very hot day. Not much to say about the drive in Ohio, except that the state was very flat and accentuated by tall signs advertising fireworks and adult superstores. And for one stretch of 75 S all I could smell was manure, though I didn't see a single cow or horse on any of the numerous farms that I passed. One funny sign I saw was for Clinton County--A Bicentennial Community. I liked that description.

I filled up for gas outside of Columbus and it only cost $2.41 a gallon. Everywhere else in Ohio it seemed to be around $2.70. Columbus was the first city viewable on the route since Hartford.

Well, I'm spent. Let's see how it goes tomorrow.


1 comment: