Thursday, June 17, 2010

Good Night, Urbana


Beautiful night here in Urbana, IL. The photo is of my friends' incredible art gallery downtown, please look them up (www.cinemagallery.cc), you might find something you like.

I'm a bit deflated by the Celtics loss, but they didn't play well enough this season to be champions. Though a victory would have been nice since I'm moving to Southern California and prefer it when Laker fans keep their mouths shut.

Covered four states today: Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois. That ties me with day one's coverage of Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, and Pennsylvania. Yesterday I went 606 miles, from Wilkes-Barre to Covington, Kentucky. Gas today was $2.52/gal outside Indy. I passed through another Boone County, this one in Indiana. I'll make it to another one tomorrow in Missouri. Though I didn't hear any Mellencamp while traveling through Indiana, I did think of him, so that counts.

When I paid for my oil change at the Walmart counter outside Indianapolis the cashier saw my iced tea and remarked, "You went to Starbucks and didn't get me anything." It came across in a completely genial and good natured way, very refreshing. That same statement in Boston would be directed in a hostile, 'what do you think you're better than me' kind of way.

Saw a couple of interesting road signs, one that said "Abortion is forever. Choose Life." And another that said, "Thugs won't stop while you wait for a cop. Guns make sense." Wouldn't see either of those back home, and I would prefer that. Another little difference, the absolutely massive sporting goods store at Walmart had a huge selection of ammunition. Was kind of hoping they had guns too, just for the novelty, but I guess I'll have to wait until the next state. There was no sporting goods section at the Walmart in North Reading, MA.

Off to my birthplace tomorrow. Columbia, MO, I'm coming back.



No comments:

Post a Comment