Monday, June 21, 2010

The Road To Santa Fe






Despite how tired I was upon arrival, I could not get anything more than what I would describe as a restless sleep last night.

So I didn't get on my way until noon. I picked a Santa Fe taqueria online and plugged the address into my gps. Once again, my iPod froze. However, before that it did provide me with Robbie Robertson's "Somewhere Down The Crazy River" from shuffle; I could not have chose a better song myself, totally perfect for today. And it seemed that it understood I would find something more without it, and when I went back to the radio dial I found a truly outstanding station, Radio Free Santa Fe. Very few commercials, no dj banter, and very long blocks of music. I heard everything from the new Scissor Sisters single, Dire Straits' "The Man's Too Strong," Magnetic Fields' "You Must Be Out Of Your Mind," and "Santa Fe" by Drive-By Truckers. Incredible station. You can check them out here, http://www.kbac.com/.

At this point, I have a favor to ask. There is a back handed move by record companies to tax radio stations for playing their music. In its essence, it is a reverse payola scheme, and it's outrageous that these clueless companies want to penalize the people that are promoting their product. Yes, I use Pandora, and my iPod, the CD changer, and YouTube, but I can't live without the radio--it has significantly enhanced this journey and all that I have made in the past. Whether I've been running errands in Boston, exploring the Cote d'Azur in France, or making my current trip, the radio has brightened my day. Radio stations are struggling, and the world will be a more sour and lonely place without them.

http://www.noperformancetax.org/

A couple of words about Route 285 North, amazing road. As you can see, there is nothing but road. That means no exits until you get right outside Santa Fe, which in my case was about 42 miles. Make sure you don't need to make any stops before you hop on.

No comments:

Post a Comment