Friday, June 25, 2010

Delayed at LAX

(this entry was composed at 8am Pacific Time)



Sitting at LAX awaiting my flight to San Francisco. The airport shuttle arrived half an hour ahead of schedule, fortunately I was ready after having tired of lying restless through intermittent sleep on an air mattress.



Really looking forward to seeing my dad. Certainly wish that circumstances were better but everything happens for a reason, even though that reason may not be clear at the time.

Yesterday was a very slow and hollow day. Though I woke up feeling fractured and without motivation I did force myself to head south on Wilshire down to the Santa Monica shore. The temperature was the stereotypical 72 but the sand was still hot from the sun. I waded directly into the surf without a trace of cold or trepidation. The water was warm and soothing. I plunged in, arcing my body over the crest of a few waves, delighting in the drum of the surf beating against the shore. The current was strong yesterday, and without too much time to kill I retreated to my mat to dry off in the sun. My nerves calmed a bit, but my head would not clear. After about twenty minutes of sad contemplation, I went back up Wilshire to prepare for the day.

Next stop Glendale. My friend and host here was running game show host auditions at studio out there, and I would be appearing later as a fill in contestant playing to an imaginary audience. I must have done okay, because I was asked back for four rounds, finding new banter with the parade of stand up comics and one former 90210 star looking to secure the hosting gig. I was polite but didn’t interact too much with the crew or other stand-ins, I didn’t see the point as I was only there to do what I was told and then leave. But I made a bit of pocket money and pondered the artifice of show biz.

Last evening was spent grilling chicken on a little balcony between Santa Monica and Brentwood, talking Hollywood. I couldn’t wait to go to sleep, but once I did my body did not respond too well. So another night of harried rest.

But let’s not complain. I’m awaiting my maiden voyage to San Francisco (-- I just heard my flight was delayed) with a job to do for my dad. Looking forward…

No comments:

Post a Comment