Saturday, June 19, 2010

Trial







I was thrilled sitting behind the wheel, listening to Otis and cruising through Southwestern Missouri. But then those clouds above began to encircle me, and it wasn't long before the shit hit the fan. And believe me, the shit hit the fucking fan. This storm hovered above my route like an oppressive alien mother ship. I sat up straight, gripped the wheel with white knuckles, and at one point even talked to God. With nothing but farmland and very few exits, there was no place to find shelter. The rain came in blinding sheets. The gusts of wind were so strong that the car was thrusted back and forth. I was very thankful for my New England driving experience and the Lost Boys soundtrack in the CD player. I've never felt such understanding from "Cry Little Sister" (www.youtube.com/watch?v=o375ke8Csio) which played during the storms apex, or such catharsis from "I Still Believe" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw3MO4E9gVA) which launched in a break of silence from the storm.

Rain came back in violent waves throughout the rest of Missouri, and I could not wait to make it to my planned destination of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

2 comments:

  1. The Lost Boys soundtrack is one of the best! But you should have stopped the car and get out to walk around because you won't see rain again once you hit San Diego. Bang! bang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cry little sister!? YESSSSSSSSSS... you rule holmes

    ReplyDelete