Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Round One


Checkpoint 1 achieved. I sit here in the living room of the one and only Matt Gibson, and his kind and adoring wife Melissa.

The 5 hour drive felt like nothing. Obviously, that won't be a consistent feel. But I knew I was coming to see Gibby, and that feeling is unparalleled.

So, starting mileage 113, 574. Anyone kidding about my wheels, fuck off! My car is cool and has a sunroof, absolutely essential for optimum driving. Mileage at destination, 113,894. That means 320 miles down. About a tenth of the way. Cleveland is out. Gib and Melissa head to work around 9, so I'll trek out to Cincinnati when they head off. That's a 9 hour plus drive. I imagine my mood will go south during that time so you can all look forward to that. However, let's not forget today's journey. I watched the sunset burn over 3 states: Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York. And there was still some sunlight in Pennsylvania until almost 9:30. As I crossed into New York I saw the orange sun highlight a crescent moon. It was then that I had my highlight song, "Movie Star" by Roisin Murphy light my fire. That tune was courtesy of iPod shuffle, and kept me burning until I crossed into Pennsylvania. At that point I switched the power source over to the GPS, and the radio rewarded me with a full version of "It's A Sin" by the one and only Pet Shop Boys. I think you can feel the ear to ear smile that gave me. As if I was not blessed enough, I even caught the WRKO signal for the Sox game, which carried me into my destination. Though I know I will hear it again, I will miss the voice of Joe Castiglione calling the Sox. What a sweet lullaby of summer.

Good first day. Wait for an evening post tomorrow.

The Tunes:
Movie Star:

It's A Sin:

1 comment:

  1. well done my friend...unfortunately, the celtics completely sucked last night and forced me to pull more of what little hair i have left out of my head. Oh well, one more game and they all go home anyway, so we have made it a wonderful year either way. Sox d-backs and yanks phils tonight...sweet

    ReplyDelete