Sunday, October 17, 2010

Some Rest, Reflection, Renewal



The sun has not shined on San Diego for over a week. Last Sunday was brilliantly sunny and warm. Since then, it has been cloudy and cool every day, without variation. So, the tone here is a bit different. Nevertheless, there is still beauty to be found underneath the clouds.

Discovering that what I always considered mist passes for rain out here. With that acceptance, I was able to walk in the rain last night in Pacific Beach, and today in Little Italy. No need for an umbrella (which I never cared for anyway) or even a hood, though my hair did get a bit frizzy. I did see some people seeking refuge under store canopies and awnings, that just made me smile. Spent the afternoon back at the apartment and checked in with a couple of my neighbors. I am fortunate to be living alongside some very nice people, kind and supportive.

Spent time on the phone with my wonderful family, who all sounded happy today. That made me feel very good. I miss them.

Tonight I went to an evening yoga class filled wall to wall with people. Still I never felt crowded. As you often hear in classes, your mat is your place, and all that you need. Tonight that was very true. The class was challenging and cleansing, yet incredibly tranquil. Great music, too. Often times I find my mind just runs out of control despite my attempts to clear it. Tonight my mind felt more like 3am traffic flowing easily over a bridge. Cars spread out and moving but all in the same direction with plenty of space and no concern for collision.

After class I directed my sweat soaked body to the beach. My requisite beach bag is a bit depleted since I had used the towel earlier this week for yoga class so I just peeled off my sweatlogged t-shirt and walked down to the shore in my bathing suit, hoodie, and flip flops. The beach was pretty deserted. It was 6:15, with the sky darkening on an already misty, cloudy day. A very cheery, hippyish girl was walking up towards the boardwalk. Somehow she knew my intention and cautioned, "it's going to be fucking cold you know." "Most likely," I replied with a smile. I stared out at the waves for a few minutes. There was one lonely surfer to my left and to my right a ballerina like beauty running back and forth to the shore line in a flowing skirt as she kicked and twirled. I took off my sweatshirt and darted into the water, moving quickly with determination. After eight strides I launched forward in a surprisingly well coiled dive underneath an oncoming breaker. My body was charged from head to toe. I did not feel any cold. The other day by the lifeguard station they listed the water temperature at 65 degrees. Well the air temperature today was only about 64 degrees. The water is just as comforting as the air. It felt so good. A few arches and submersions and it was time to head back to the shore. The days are getting shorter and shorter. Today was a good day.

Time to go home and relax. What's on 60 Minutes?

No comments:

Post a Comment