Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween Party #1



Wow. Got invited to a killer birthday party in San Diego. Really cool people and it was an '80s party, right in my wheelhouse. All the way up in Leucadia, on a beautiful secluded street just off the 5. Costume parties are always the best because everyone has to commit. If you costume up, you can't break away to some civilian obligation. And if you show up to a costume party without a costume, well then you're the outcast.

No slackers here, everyone was decked out. Leotards, hair sprayed wigs, plenty of ripped denim and fluorescent leg warmers, this party was legit. There was even a breakdancing-dance off. You read that right. A complete breakdancing throwdown showdown. It was like a scene out of Breakin' with white surfer dudes.

Meanwhile, inside you could play Super Mario Bros. on Nintendo. There weren't more than 30 people there, but it was totally decked out. And there was even a huge dog rocking a jean jacket with a Metallica sticker.

I went as Sonny Crockett. On the way up, I stopped to buy a bottle of wine at a very busy liquor store. There I am, linen pants, turquoise shirt, linen jacket, and I didn't even get one raised eyebrow. I don't think anyone there considered that I was going to a costume party.

Southern California.

No comments:

Post a Comment