Sunday, November 14, 2010

Wrong Address



I was very excited last night to have my first theatre experience in San Diego, a production of Arthur Miller's The Crucible. I had low expectations, especially when Galicia, the box office receptionist told me there was plenty of parking in the strip mall where the theatre was located. Well I guess I should have asked her for the exact address as well, because when I went to the address I had there was no strip mall. And there was no crucible. Instead I found myself at the home of the Diversionary Theatre, the home of one of the nation's oldest LGBT theatre companies. The play was Anita Bryant Died For Your Sins, the poster (not the one in the pic, the one in the link), was certainly suggestive. Figuring I was still in the right place, and that they had a black box theatre, I climbed the stairs in search of a mass hysteria parable. No such luck, instead, it was the story of an awkward young boy's discovery and acceptance of his homosexuality.

But I have to say, it was a really enjoyable play. The lead kid drove me up a wall but there was a really engaging supporting cast and some good messages within the drama. So there you have it, my first San Diego theatre experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment