Monday, January 24, 2011

Sunday with Carlos





Definitely was not excited for football today and the games certainly weren't too fun to watch. At least the Bears made it interesting for one quarter and the Jets for two. Pretty lackluster.

I turned my attention elsewhere and finally sat down to watch Carlos, the 3 part mini-series on the infamous terrorist popularly known as The Jackal. I've wanted to see this movie for months. It played for a week in a San Diego theatre and I was ready for the 5 hour and 43 minute commitment, but my schedule did not allow. So with viewings scattered between 8pm and 9am, I made it through this stunning piece of work. The film was just outstanding. Compelling, terrifying, maddening, thrilling. The film was fictionalized, but you learned a great deal about international politics and how one allies can become enemies and back again very quickly. Edgar Ramirez played Carlos, and it is one of the best performances you'll ever see. He moved effortlessly between 5 languages: English, French, Spanish, German, and Arabic. And he's playing an absolutely despicable man but remains completely captivating. This is one of the best performances you'll ever see, and it's not flashy or grandiose. Remarkable.

Now I just wonder if I couldn't sleep for natural reasons or because I wanted to finish the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment