Saturday, January 22, 2011

Saturday Night




For my Saturday evening I escaped to the movies. There are a number of movies out right now that I'd like to see, but when I searched the show times today I came across one I'd never heard of, The Way Back.

I just saw a simple text listing for the film, directed by Peter Weir, starring Jim Sturgess, Ed Harris, Colin Farrell, and Mark Strong, about a group of men escaping from Soviet gulag. Sold. I had never seen a single preview, press notice, or review for the movie. I didn't even know what the one sheet looked like, and when I went to the cinema tonight, they didn't even have one on display.

So I descended into the darkened theatre completely fresh. I found a great seat, and let myself disappear into this world. The titles came up, the story of three men who came down from the Himalayas into India, after a 4000 mile journey from Siberia. Truly remarkable. There were no Russians in the main cast, which instead featured 1 Romanian, 1 Swede, 1 American, 1 Brit, and a handful of Irish. It made no difference. Great cast. Excellent movie. Completely unsentimental, focusing instead on total conviction, strength and determination. It won't be the best time you ever have at the movies, but it is certainly worth seeing. Always good to see a film that is shot on location, that is getting rarer and rarer these days.

And, bonus, check out the awesome kid size snack I got at the concession stand! You always know you'll get screwed buying concessions at the movies, but I was in the mood for popcorn and candy tonight and ready to get bent over on the price. Instead they offered the kid size for $6 bucks! It was the perfect amount. I wish more theatre chains would offer this. And beer & wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment