Monday, January 24, 2011

Reprise



Saw the green flash again tonight. Very cool.

I stopped into a rooftop bar after grocery shopping and watched the sun set. There were a couple girls in their late 20s in front of me, 3 women in their 40s to my left. The young girls were talking about their various paramours, the possibility of marriage, and balancing friendships with romance. The women were caustically discussing the sexual proclivities of their spouses (which didn't seem to include them) and where to get the right "blankeys" for their kids. I did my best to tune them all out and absorb the lithium from the setting sun. As the glowing orb sank into the sea, there it was, the flash of green. Check please, time to go.

But before I did, I was the recipient of some genuine San Diego courtesy. As the temperature dropped in time with fading sun people were starting to get cold on the roofdeck. A waiter was summoned to light the heat lamps. The gentleman behind was the first to have a lamp turned on but as he made his requested he said, "don't turn it up to high, the guy next to me (me) is wearing a sweatshirt, I don't want to burn him up." This level of awareness is welcome to me after many years living in Boston.

It was up to about 70 today, but the temperature sure drops fast. Right now it's already down to the 50s. It's not cold (to me, but it is to people around here), but it's a stark difference. I've been taking notice of this. Yesterday was incredible. It was one of the warmest days I've experienced here. In the 80s at the beach. And when I opened the windows in the morning I could feel a strong, warm wind. Almost a hot wind. This was at 8am. I made it to the beach kind of awe-struck at how warm it was. The beach was overflowing with people. Bikinis everywhere. People in the water. I was getting hungry and wanted to catch a bit of the game so I got up from the sand a few minutes before 2. The warm wind enveloped the beach. I was a bit reticent to leave. And then, almost exactly as the clock struck 2, the wind changed from warm to cool. The whole feel of the day was different in an instant. I knew I'd pick the right time to head out, and enjoyed the rapidly cooling afternoon. By nightfall, it was 45 degrees. Quite a difference.


As I've bandied about my tasks today I've been listening to disc 2 of New Order: Substance. Killer tunes. I can think of many poignant times with this record. First exposure was with my sister when she had it on cassette and played it in her car while being annoyed at picking me up from school. Then playing it over the sound system at Mistral one Sunday as we closed up with the one and only Tidal B. behind the bar. There are many more.

When's the last time you heard this one?:

1 comment:

  1. That CD set I must have listened to a million times. Yet, I still love the entire collection. Memories.....

    ReplyDelete