Thursday, February 3, 2011

Strange Familiarity



So I'm sitting home tonight about to enjoy a delicious dinner, and with little to excite me, I realized that for the first time in my current location, I knew the channel numbers for the shows I wanted to watch. No need for the brochure. Didn't have to hit guide on the remote. I could switch from TNT to watch the Lakers vs. the Spurs (Ginobli is awesome!), to NBC for Community )which provides laughs at times) to the MLB Network (which is my go-to channel, even though it infuriates just as much as it entertains). This is no feat. But I really think it was the first time that not only could I think of three simultaneous shows I was willing to watch, but I knew how to get to them automatically.

It was still very windy here today, with the low tonight expected to be 39 degrees. In New England, 39 is warm. Here, while it was still 55, people are wearing scarves and hats. To meet the cold weather, I looked through the scraps of my cupboard and refrigerator and made some pasta, which I love but also increases my normal caloric intake by about 120%. Lately though, I've been working out more than I ever have so it's cool.

With the doldrums of winter surrounding everyone in one way or the other, I share a great song by The Police (best band ever) reminding us to make the best of what we have. Written at a time when Sting was recently evicted from his apartment (where he lived with his then wife and first born child, betting it all on a band he was only half-certain about) and performed when the band was cracking the globe and still having fun with one another.

But before you watch that, heard a great story about Dustin Pedroia on the MLB Network earlier tonight. In some game against the Twins, The Laser Show is rolling through a 12 pitch at-bat when a consternated Joe Mauer says from behind the plate, "Man, I have no idea what to throw you."
"Neither does the rest of the league," replied Pedroia.
Pedroia hit the next pitch for a single up the middle and tipped his cap to Mauer from first base.

No comments:

Post a Comment