Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Graceland







There was a pins and needles feeling, a Christmas morning feeling, this am as I woke up and knew I was going to Graceland. I can't say that any of it was all that glamorous, or that the end result merited the anticipation, but I was propelled in a positive way into my experience, and there was nothing I would rather have done. I crossed the Mississippi. I went down Elvis Presley Boulevard. I woke up listening to Paul Simon's amazing song.

The mansion is tiny by today's standards. It is the epitome of '70s tacky-ness. But none of that bothered me. In fact, I found myself surprisingly emotional at the sight of the gravestones of Elvis, his parents, and his grandmother. I welled up. The guy hit a level of fame and influence never seen on this earth before or since at 19. By 42 he was dead. His father wrote the inscription on his gravestone. If you aren't moved by that, well, I'll still respect you, but we aren't at the same level. Elvis is a prisoner to early fame and an early demise. But I felt inspired by being able to be close to his nexus. God bless Elvis.

I had some great barbecue down on Beale Street before out. Memphis is certainly a town that would be blast to spend a weekend in. Come down to see a show and enjoy yourself. I don't think this is the last time I'll ever be here.

Made my way up to Nashville to see my cousins. Listened to a public funded bluegrass station playing Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Hank Snow and more pure country. It was great. The road didn't feel far away. I felt at home and could easily have been in any part of the country. But I made my way to Nashville and pulled off before seeing any of the city. Was greeted like a king of state. I feel blessed to have family here. If I had not set free from my moorings, I would not be so close to people who are so special to this world and connected and special to me.

A long day of driving tomorrow, and I must admit I'm at a loss for words. Positively.

No comments:

Post a Comment