Sunday, May 8, 2011

Overdue








For two years now, I've been searching for entre into the world of wine/liquor distribution. The quest has taken me in many different directions, heading from one side of the country to the other and now back again, and all along my interest in the business has held steady. It's the right path. I want to work with spirits, sell them, learn about getting them into the country, selling them around the country, and using that knowledge to learn how to import/export other products. It's a long term viewpoint, and I knew I would be starting at the bottom, the question has always been when.

This week marked my first official week in the wine business. Hired by a direct importer to learn the trade. This is a very exciting opportunity. And, as always, it comes at a cost. Two months ago I arrived in South Windsor, CT to explore my options here on the east coast. It was the right move. Of course my opportunity is coming to me in Massachusetts. After switching coasts and covering thousands of miles, the question of going another 112 is not going to stand in my way. Though I won't get to come to my new home on a daily basis, I'll be working to develop a brighter future. After so long in limbo, there was no hesitation and there is no doubt.

I have a long way to go, much to learn, and challenges to overcome. I thought for the past two weeks that this entry would be my last, as I have accomplished my goal of finding the right opportunity. But I want to continue to catalogue how this develops. In order to develop sales, I'll be knocking on quite a lot of doors. And this blog is labeled as a traveller's page, so I may as well share some of the places I go to help remember what it takes to get wherever it is I will end up.

The first week caused a bit of strain, as change always does, but whether I'm behind the wheel or behind the desk, I've felt comfortable and happy with what I'm doing. I got to speak Spanish with some Catalonian wine producers, who were kind enough to leave my some samples under a fancy new title, I've met quite a few people all in one week and though some were kind, others were indifferent, and every day there was at least one serious asshole, I'm very excited to pursue my dream. Best of all, when I finally did get back home on Friday night, I was welcomed warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment